Monday, February 21, 2011

Host family

Most of the students will live in a host family when they are studying in US. The host family programs suppose to provide an American home experience for international students from other countries. Most of them have the experience with the host family. Some of the host family is bad; some of the host family is good. The international students cannot choose host family, the organization of the host family assign the host randomly. When I arrived in US, I live in my uncle home. I stayed in there for one and a half year. I feel like I am not in them. The family has too many rules for me to follow. I need to sleep and turn off all the light at ten. Apart from these, I feel like I am in a jail. I have no social life because I don’t have a car and the distance from my home to school by car is more than half an hour. That’s the reason why I moved out. One of my friends is living in a host family, and she said her host family is so nice. I moved to her place and lived with host family for half a year. The host family is really nice and they are from Taiwan. The hosts always asked us to have meal, and always afraid we were hungry. He helped us to sweep and clean up the floor. All in all, I have a nice and remarkable experience with my host family.

2 comments:

  1. I have a bad experience with a host family too...
    When I first came to America as an international student, I had no way to choose where to stay so I got arranged my place by my college. The family they arranged for me was a single-working mother family with 3 little kids and one big dog... You can imagine how troublesome staying at such place is, can't you. While I was staying there, because she had her job from 8 am to 7 pm as a cashier in a grocery store every weekday, the host mother served me a same cereal every morning, gave me $5 dollars to ask me to buy and eat a dinner by myself almost every nights, asked or even forced me to play with her kids and take a walk with her dog 2 times a week, and asked me other troublesome tasks. I couldn't enjoy staying there at all. That was a horrible experience.
    I think that hosting organizations or the school providing host families to their students must set some minimum standards for host conditions、provide hosts information to students, and give students a right to choose their hosts. This will help students to have better chances of having nice hosts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To: Life as an International Student
    Ahh! This sounds horrible! I’m sorry to hear you're unhappy with your living situation. I too had a weird host family situation in Italy.

    I really liked reading this blog because I love hearing about other peoples experiences and points of view, but for this class we really weren't supposed to make diary like blogs. The only thing I can suggest to you is to maybe find an article that talks about home-stay situations being stressful, or how they help you learn the language faster. Your pathos is great, but this article could use a little more ethos. :)

    ReplyDelete